When we go from #TeamTaken to #TeamSingle, comforting words from our favorite R&B artist seems to always shed light on our dark situations. From one of the greatest musical eras of all-time, here are 13 Breakup songs of the 90’s.
[youtube id=”p2Rch6WvPJE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
1. Toni Braxton, “Un-Break My Heart” – Braxton’s most notable song, “Un-Break My Heart,” was the soundtrack to broken-hearted women in 1996. The signature R&B ballad, written by Diane Warren, explains the pain of losing your lover and awaiting them to return to undo the hurt once caused.
[youtube id=”6J538b-OLRU” width=”600″ height=”350″]
2. Whitney Houston, “It’s Not Right, But it’s Okay”– In the winter of 1999, Houston empowered women across the world to leave their unfaithful lovers and be independent with bold statements like, “I rather be alone than unhappy,” and “See I’m moving on and I refuse to turn back.”
[youtube id=”qD4wAyRBGy8″ width=”600″ height=”350″]
3. Case & Joe, “Faded Pictures” – The R&B duet was lifted off Case’s second studio album, “Personal Conversation.” The song, shares the hurt of falling in love with someone, only to later find out were still reminiscing on romance from years ago.
[youtube id=”-M9FWpybxtc” width=”600″ height=”350″]
4. Dru Hill, “One Good Reason” – Tired of waiting around for your lover to get it right and still can’t find any reasons to stick around, Dru Hill says it’s time to leave. Especially when the love as runs it’s course and they can’t give you, “one good reason,” to stay.
[youtube id=”jnFKa8iuwHU” width=”600″ height=”350″]
5. Aaliyah, “One I Gave My Heart” – The late singer, Aaliyah bares her soul on her last single from, One in a Million. On the heartfelt ballad, Aaliyah expresses her thoughts on how the man she gave her heart to, turn around her treat her so badly. We have all been there before.
[youtube id=”zDKO6XYXioc” width=”600″ height=”350″]
6. Boyz II Men, “End of the Road” – Sometimes when lovers go their separate ways, it is difficult to understand, especially when you believe you belong together. The R&B supergroup, summed it all in this beautiful, yet emotional ballad to sooth even the most broken heart.
[youtube id=”cE-bnWqLqxE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
7. Lauryn Hill, “Ex Factor” – The honest and truthful ballad resonates with anyone who has every dealt with difficult breakup. The song, written by Lauryn, explains the drama of calling it quits and being unable to accept it’s over.
[youtube id=”2fDU-khOp1o” width=”600″ height=”350″]
8. Erykah Badu, “Tyrone” – Before ladies told their trifling men, “to the left, to the left,” Badu had women insisting they, “call Tyrone,” to help them get their belongings. She made it fun yet liberating to breakup with your no good lover.
[youtube id=”N3JFwd1bk4Q” width=”600″ height=”350″]
9. Kelis, “Caught Out There” – For any women whose been lied to by their man, this record is for you. The bold and empowering anthem, gave women courage to address their cheating men and kick them to the curve, while screaming “I hate you so much right now.”
[youtube id=”sz-NhGanOAE” width=”600″ height=”350″]
10. Brian McKnight, “One Last Cry” – One would say, the best remedy for mending a broken heart is crying. Mcknight says it’s one last cry to get over a love lost. In the song, he declares, he’ll forget his lover and their past, after he sheds his last tears.
[youtube id=”WiM3bGcXYxk” width=”600″ height=”350″]
11. Mary J.Blige, “Not Gon’ Cry”– Written by Babyface, the emotional ballad captured the pain and anger of scorn women everywhere, who have sacrificed their lives for an unhealthy relationship. The song, gives anyone strength to move forward and learn from the heartbreak.
[youtube id=”JGHax11lzkk” width=”600″ height=”350″]
12. Brandy, “Almost Doesn’t Count” – Brandy channels her pain and frustration with her lover whose always letting her heart down. She reminds us, in relationships, you can’t expect your lover to hang around while you continue to break their heart, “almost doesn’t count.”
[youtube id=”uB1D9wWxd2w” width=”600″ height=”350″]
13. Mark Morrison, “Return of the Mack” – After you have caught your lover in a lie, have cried your last cry, make a comeback to the dating scene, Mark Morrison did. This song, gives you motivation to pick up the pieces and re-gain your mojo.