Last night’s BET Awards was unprecedented.
For the first time in the 20-year history of the annual ceremony, millions of viewers watched the award show in a virtual format on BET Networks and CBS.
Hosted by Amanda Seales, the three-hour virtual ceremony pushed various artists, particularly R&B acts, to be much more creative and dedicated to showcasing their Black excellence on the mainstage in their respective remote locations.
Multi-instrumentalist and vocalist Masego delivered a high dose of female appreciation with his rendition of “Queen Tingz,” while Jennifer Hudson’s commanding tribute to the Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin blew off the roof.
Alicia Keys brought tears to eyes at-home with the painful “Perfect Way to Die,” lifted from her forthcoming album ALICIA. Summer Walker came all the way through with the live vocals with her cozy performance of “Sessions 32” and “Come Thru” with Usher.
Here are the performances from the 2020 BET Awards.
8. Anderson .Paak performs “Lockdown” with Jay Rock.
7. Lonr. makes his television debut with “Make the Most.”
6. Alicia Keys delivers a moving performance of “Perfect Way to Die.”
5. John Legend puts on a powerful performance of “Never Break.”
4. Masego jazzes up the scene with “Queen Tingz.”
3. Summer Walker and Usher “Come Thru” with a living room-inspired performance.
2. Jennifer Hudson gives a commanding rendition of “Young, Gifted and Black.”
1. Chloe X Halle makes us lose our breath with Ungodly Hour medley.